4. List of equipments available
1. Photo electric colorimeter
2. Electro convulsometer
3. Research stimulator
7. Pole climbing apparatus
8. Eddys hot plate
9. Digital actophotometer
11. Rectal thermometer
12. Audiovisual Aids –OHP, Computers with Printer, Blackboard, Simulated exercises.
Other Facilities –Photocopier, Common fax facility in Administrative Block.
CAL Lab Museum
4. Ongoing Research activities
a. Pharmacovigilance unit and ADR monitoring cell with an aim to create a database of all the adverse drug reaction occurring in the medical college hospital. This is with the whole hearted co-operation of the clinicians of various departments. The Professor and HOD is the Secretary of Pharmacovigilance Committee, MCK.
Objectives of the Programme:
Broad objectives of the Programme
· To foster the culture of Adverse Event (AE) notification and reporting
· To establish a viable and broad-based ADR monitoring program in MCK
Specific objectives of the Programme
· To create an ADR database for the Medical College, Kottayam
· To create awareness of ADR monitoring among the doctors
· To ensure optimum safety of drug products in Indian market
· To create infrastructure for ongoing regulatory review of PSURs
Please report any adverse drug reactions in the mail id:firstname.lastname@example.org
The adverse drug reaction form can be downloaded ADE Form.pdf
b. A Retrospective Analysis of the Pattern of Poisoning in Patients Admitted to Medical College Hospital, Kottayam
c. Clinical Pharmacology studies
5. CME programmes conducted
Pharmacovigilance sensitization programme-2010
Workshop on updating Drug Formulary -2009
Conferences-Actively participate in the National, Regional, State level and local conferences
Pharmacovigilance Sensitisation Programme 2010
1. 2 postgraduate seats were sanctioned in the year 2010
2. The training programme offered by the Department is of the highest standards. The MBBS
students acquire many distinctions and high first classes. The University topper in 2009 -2nd MBBS
exams in this subject was from this institution.
3. The HOD of the department deliver various guest lectures and is resource personnel for several
CME programmes and Conferences
4. Research publications in various indexed and non indexed journals
5. Paper presentation and best paper awards at National and Regional Conferences
7. Other Activities
1. Our department is in charge of conducting the Institutional Review Board of the Institution.
a. The Scientific Review Committee (SRC) which is constituted by 3 members is held once in 2 months
and The Professor and HOD of the department is the Member Secretary.
b. The Institutional Ethics Committee (IEC) which is constituted by 10 members is held once in 2
months and The Professor and HOD of the department is the Member Secretary
c. The Institutional Animal Ethics Committee (IAEC)
The forthcoming events are regularly updated in the IRB website: http//:irbmck.webs.com
2. The Professor and HOD of the department is holding other posts like
1. Member, IRB, Ananthapuri hospital, Thiruvananthapuram
2. Officer-in Charge, Medical Education Unit, MCK
3. Officer –in-Charge, Central Library, MCK
4. Warden, Ladies Hostel, MCK
8. Future prospects
It is hoped that the department will contribute significantly to basic and clinical research which will be appreciated both nationally and internationally. Our efforts are to conduct meaningful collaborative research and clinical trials which will bear favorable outcomes in the future. We hope to make significant contributions in the field of health care through our research.
Postgraduates-We intend to set up a full fledged postgraduate course which will equip the students to be well placed in different arenas like the Teaching institutions, Industries, Research Fields, Hospitals or pursue their career as students in DM Clinical Pharmacology.
Undergraduates-We intend to train the undergraduates the basic principles of pharmacology with a clinical co-relation which will be helpful for them as junior doctors and while preparing for the postgraduate entrance exams